- Bishop John was a member of the International Commission for Anglican-Orthodox Theological Dialogue until 2017. He has written two papers for the Commission and contributed to its 2016 agreed statement:
- 2016 - "In the Image and Likeness of God: A Hope-Filled Anthropology": An agreed statement between Anglican and Orthodox Churches on the theology of the human person
2013 - Repentance, Transformation and Holiness
2011 - The Human Person: Sacrifice, Salvation and Community with particular reference to human limitation
- Article "Holy Theatre and Holy Worship" in The Way, volume 60, number 4 (October 2021)
- Following the murder of George Floyd, Bishop John wrote an article for the Diocesan website: Profoundly Uncomfortable Times
- Article "Martyrdom and Communion in the twentieth century: a Church of England perspective." in One in Christ, volume 50, number 2 (2016)
- In November 2016, Bishop John wrote a foreword to Prayer and the Priest: Christian Meditation and Priestly Life
- In May 2013, Bishop John wrote to the Church Times about the situation in Syria.
- Bishop John spoke at a seminar on Meditation with Children held in Birmingham in December 2010. A publication containing a selection of the talks given that day may be found here.
- In June 2010, Bishop John wrote to the Church Times about Christian hermits.
- Turned by Divine Love: Starting again with God and with others (BRF, 2019) See here for more details.