What is the Registry and what does it do?
The Registry is the legal office of the Diocese.
Diocesan Registrar and Legal Secretary to the Bishop of Coventry: Mrs Jenny Dymond
Registry Clerk: Mrs Michelle McBrierty
The Registry is responsible for providing advice to the Bishop, Archdeacons, diocesan committees and Synod, parishes within the diocese and their clergy, PCCs, churchwardens and dealing with general enquiries from members of the public.
Amongst other legal questions the work of the Registry includes:
- preparation of licensing documentation for clergy who operate in the Diocese
- giving advice concerning pastoral schemes
- preparation of documentation for lay office holders in the Diocese
- the management of the patronage register
- preparation of documents for the consecration and licensing of buildings used for public worship
- the maintenance of records relating to churches, clergy, etc.
- preparation of documents for the consecration of churchyards and churchyard extensions
- giving advice concerning consecrated land
- giving advice relating to baptism, marriage and burials
- the issuing of Bishop’s Common Licences to those unable to marry by Banns
- giving advice relating to churchyards, memorials and church buildings
- undertaking the administrative process for faculties both diocesan and private
It also offers administrative assistance to the Chancellor of the Diocese, Mr Glyn Samuel, who sits as the Judge of the Consistory Court of the Diocese of Coventry.
The consistory courts are The King's courts which deal mainly with the faculty jurisdiction relating to consecrated land and buildings within the Diocese of Coventry including Church of England churches and churchyards and the consecrated parts of local authority cemeteries. The Registry enables the work of both Consistory Court and Registrar.
The Diocesan Registry is located in the offices of Rotherham & Co. Solicitors at 8-9 The Quadrant, Coventry, CV1 2EG and can be contacted by telephone on 02476 227331 during office hours. Enquiries can also be made to the Registry by email to: email@example.com