The Art of Spiritual Accompaniment – 2021/2022
A one-year course for those wishing to train as spiritual companions (directors).
What is spiritual accompaniment?
- A ministry deeply embedded in the Christian tradition
- Walking alongside another in a journey with God
- A relationship which helps us to attend more closely to the movements of God’s Spirit in our lives
At the end of the course, participants will have the basic knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to accompany another in their spiritual journey. For instance, you will be able to:
- Reflect on own practice, and self-critique
- Identify and explore religious experience
- Use silence, listening and non-verbal skills creatively
- Maintain confidentiality and develop a relationship of trust
- Confidently conduct an hour-long session
- Maintain a prayerful, contemplative stance
- Recognise boundaries, and the need for referral to professional help
- Support the discernment of divine activity in another’s life
- Access and recommend relevant basic resources: prayer approaches, Biblical material, meditational material, writings and artwork for contemplation
- Recognise and work appropriately with different personalities, stages of life and spiritual growth
- Respond sensitively to confession, challenges, resistance, and expressions of feeling
What practical things must be in place before starting the course?
Each participant in the course will –
- be a member of a worshipping Christian community
- be able to provide 2 references: from the leader of your current faith community, and from another Christian in good standing with the church.
It is expected also that each participant in the course will –
- have been seeing a spiritual companion/director for at least 12 months *
- have completed a listening skills course or give evidence of an equivalent
- have experience of a silent retreat weekend or a retreat in daily life
Other relevant experience may compensate for the lack of one of these.
Selection: is by interview and places are limited.
Dates: September 2021 – July 2022.
Days: Wednesdays weekly 7.30 – 9.30pm in three 10-week terms + four Saturday workshops
Venue: To be split between a venue near Warwick and one in Coventry and potentially with some online sessions.
Cost: £140 per term, payable in advance (includes provision of a course text book).
Application forms and further information can be obtained from:
David Jessett: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications if possible by 15 May 2021.
*You can be introduced to a spiritual companion/director in Coventry or Warwickshire by emailing: SpiritualDirectorCov@gmail.com